Thursday, February 24, 2011

Weight Routine

I’ve been lifting weights 3x/week since October, getting into a nice pre-work routine at Anytime Fitness in Springfield.  A gentleman “regular”, who I see routinely, recently approached me and requested that I write out what I do each day.  Apparently I fly around fast enough that he can’t quite tell.  I wrote it out, so I figured I might as well post it here. 

Focus:
  • General strength
  • Aerobic/Anaerobic stamina
  • The ability to work one group, then work a separate/opposing group while the previous group is resting
  • EFFICIENCY – trying to get in and out of the gym quickly!
 Strategy:
  • Alternate UPPER and LOWER body
  • Alternate “flexion” versus “extension” exercises (if applicable)
  • CIRCUIT-STYLE – do one set of an exercise, the quick rotate to next
  • Two sets of TWO different circuits
CIRCUIT ONE
  • Horizontal Row
  • Squat (either bar or dumbbell)
  • Lat Pulldown
  • Calf Raise
  • Ball Push-ups
  • Side Plank/Leg Raises
CIRCUIT TWO
  • Bicep Curl
  • Single Leg Good Morning
  • Bent Flys
  • (Roman Chair – sometimes, now phasing out due to time/redundancy)
  • Leg Extension
  • Pull-Ups (Assisted à Full)
  • Leg Flexion
NOTES:
  • I do a 2 minute elliptical warm-up
  • I do TEN reps of everything except for ball push-ups (x20) and single arm/leg exercises (x10 each = x20)
  • When possible I RUN/JOG between machines or lifts (if it’s more than 10’ or 20’ away)
  • The entire routine – the warm-up, 300 total reps – takes <20 minutes
  • The goal is NOT to rush the reps – I try to take at least 2 seconds / rep
 Runners need to RUN.  However, resistance strength is vitally important. I fault my lack of weight training in my TCM build-up for the calf/heel issues I've had since.  And you can't argue with an hour a week for that quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment